We will be making extensive changes to the Building Permits dataset this week. These changes will provide additional and higher-quality data but may have the side effect of requiring corresponding changes by users, especially for any processes that ingest the data in an automated way.
The significant changes include:
- Removing all leading spaces in column names and their corresponding underscores in the API field names.
- Removing all 15 contractor address columns.
- Removing all 15 contractor phone columns.
- Renaming all remaining CONTRACTOR_ column names to CONTACT_.
- Adding columns to break out the type of fee – PERMIT (renamed to BUILDING), ZONING, OTHER – and status – PAID, UNPAID, WAIVED.
- Renaming all AMOUNT_ column names to SUBTOTAL_.
- Renaming ESTIMATED_COST to REPORTED_COST.
- Adding a REVIEW_TYPE column.
- Adding an APPLICATION_START_DATE column.
- Adding a PROCESSING_TIME column. It will contain the difference between APPLICATION_START_DATE and ISSUE_DATE in days.
- Adding COMMUNITY_AREA, CENSUS_TRACT, WARD, XCOORDINATE, and YCOORDINATE columns.
- Reordering columns.
As always, please contact the City of Chicago Open Data Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or @ChicagoCDO with any questions related to using the Data Portal. However, please direct any subject matter questions about building permits to DOBemail@example.com.